December 8, 2010While your vehicle may be known for its off-road capabilities, its actual ability is dictated by the skill and preparation of the driver. Proper preparation can help you have a safe and fantastic journey. So here are a few off-road safety tips to think about before your next off-road adventure.
Before you Go
1. Let your friends and family know where you are going.
2. Understand that while you are taking your vehicle off-road, you will may be without cell coverage. So it would be a good idea to buy a satellite radio, HF radio or a UHF radio and learn how to use them.
3. Put a good first aid kit together and make sure you know how everything works.
4. Put together a good toolkit along with basic spare parts. Regardless if you know how to use any of it, a passer by who stops to help just might.
During your Off-Road Adventure
1. Make sure that you are well rested both physically and mentally at the start of each off-roading journey.
2. Wear a pair of high quality sunglasses to cut down the glare from the sun while you`re driving.
3. If it`s possible, travel with another vehicle. If something happens to your vehicle you have a way to get help.
4. When leaving towns check your mileage. If you do break down and need to call for help you will be able to tell them how far you are from the nearest town.
A good thing to keep in mind is that you may not be alone during your off-road adventure. Wherever you go there are wild animals and natural elements to the area. If it is your first time going off-road it is a good idea to take things slow until you get the feel for the ground beneath you. The most important thing is to have fun.
If anyone else has any "be prepared" tips post up!